Asian-Azuki Bean Chilli 02/02/11
JL Fields offers a flavourful, subtle alternative to the standard chili powder / hot sauce chili.
I wanted to get a soup going in the crockpot (slow cooker). I rummaged through my cupboard to see what bean looked good to me. Ah, the azuki bean! I love the earthy flavor of this bean. The first time I ate an azuki bean was with a kabocha squash, which is how I learned about the Japanese/Asian origins of both. With that in mind, I decided to try my hand at an Asian-inspired chili.
JL’s Asian-Azuki Bean Crockpot Chili
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 pouch Trader Joe’s low-sodium Savory Broth (Vegetable) Liquid Concentrate
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2.5 cans of water
- 1 T double-concentrate tomato paste
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion
- 1.5 cups azuki beans (dry, and no, I did not soak them)
- 1/2 t Herbamere
- 2 t Sriracha
- 1 T Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1/2 t dulse flakes
- 2 cups cabbage, diced
Add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on high for five (5) hours. Add cabbage three (3) hours into cooking.