JL’s Spicy Red Hummus 02/16/11
Kidney beans, sun-dried tomatoes and jalapeno offer a spicy alternative to traditional hummus.
Makes 2 cups (approximately)
- 2 cups kidney beans, cooked (I soaked the beans over night with a Kombu strip and then cooked them in a pressure cooker with 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a bay leaf)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato (soaked for 1 hour), diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 6 or so jalapeno seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup of olive oil + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
Place all ingredients, except the olive oil and sea salt, in a food processor (use S blade). Begin pulsing the ingredients, adding olive oil from the top until you reach desired consistency (I began with 1/4 cup and needed two more tablespoons). Salt to taste.