Yummy Crumpets 03/31/11
Enjoy some delicious crumpets with beetroot, ginger and Goat's cheese for something tasty and different.
Crumpets with Somerset Goat’s Cheese & Beetroot
With Fresh Rhubarb and Ginger Marmalade
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1½ hours + cooling time
400g fresh red rhubarb, roughly chopped
2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
5 tbsp white sugar
350g approx fresh beetroot, (about 2 medium / large beetroot) – Keep whole
200g vegetarian Somerset goat’s cheese (2 x 100g packs) each pack cut into 6 slices
35g butter for crumpets (or to taste)
Season to taste
1. Put the rhubarb, ginger, sugar and garlic (if used) into a processor and process until the mixture is very finely chopped. Turn into a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour until thick, stirring now and again to stop burning on the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool.
2. Scrub the beetroots and cut the stalks down to 2.5cms above the bulb. Either: Boil in plenty of water until soft (about 40 – 50 minutes depending on size). Drain, cover, and leave to cool (about 1 – 2 hours) Or: wrap in foil and bake at 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6 for about 40-60 minutes until soft, depending on the size of the beetroot. Leave to cool then skin the beetroot and slice thinly.
3. Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6. Toast the crumpets and lightly butter them. Place on a baking tray and divide the sliced beetroot and goat’s cheese between them. Place in the oven for about 5 – 7 minutes until warmed through. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve with the marmalade in small ramekins on the side.
4. Serving suggestion: Try serving with stir fried leeks, chicory and spring onions. Prepare the beetroot and marmalade in advance for a quick meal.
• Try white English muffins, split and toasted instead of crumpets
• Double up the crumpets and use extra cheese for hungry people!
• Use Somerset camembert for a change.
Republished with permission via www.vegsoc.org